Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Make Your Bed Rock

cristenjoy is going to make a valiant effort to return to her roots... as promised. OK maybe I only promised my facebook followers, but I deliver, regardless. (AND NO BLONDE JOKES, mmmkay?)
This blog was originally intended to be a look into my artsy fartsy soul... where you could better get to know me through my love of all things thrifty, nifty, and as some might put it... showing off my hoarder tendencies.
I am conscious of money... I wouldn't say I'm "good" at the whole "saving" concept yet... but I'm learning (slowly). However, I would say I am great at spotting things I like (and trust me, I have caviar taste)... and reinventing them so I can afford them (thank you, fishstick budget).
Whilst in Wales, I'm trying to stick to a some-what small budget... which means I can't go around to every shop and buy all the Hunter Boots and Welsh Cakes I see... I have to get thrifty... and Halloween is NO different.
This year, I decided I wanted to go as Betty Rubble, the cutest member of Bed Rock gang. So after a little imagination and inspiration from instructables, I think I've come up with a pretty good DIY.
I was hoping to get away with using only one T-shirt for this tutorial... but I ended up using two for length. At 2.50 a pop, I think it was an afforable decision.
Lay the shirts bottom hem to bottom hem, both facing upwards. Fold one of the hems up about 3 inches. Safety pin together (in four evenly spaced spots) to insure the next step is a bit easier...  Yes, this would be easier with straight pins, but my 99P Store sewing kit only provided safeties.
You will then sew a loose stitch (similar to if you were hemming pants) to fasten the two shirts together. This should be obvious... but make sure you don't sew the front and back of the shirt together! Also, be conscious of how much thread you will be able to see, from the outside, when you flip the excess down.
When you're finished sewing, flip the excess fabric down (the folded up part from the second photo) and lay flat on your surface. This is what your project should look like so far! I left the stickers on so you could see that the bottom shirt is upside down but still facing upward (a mirror image of the top). 
To add a little flair to the waist band, I cut jagged triangles, which will later mirror the bottom of my dress.
This next step could vary, depending on how vertically challenged you are. Hold the dress up to yourself so the jagged waist hits your hips. Fold over the top of the dress, so it hits where a tube top would. Mark the fold, then lay the dress down and cut it wherever necessary. For me, my "tube" area is small, since I'm only 5' tall. Your bodice will probably be longer than mine, so don't judge soley by my photos. At this point, you can also cut the jagged hem on the bottom of the dress, since you know how long it will actually be.
For the halter neckline, I needed a bit of black fabric... but since I don't have my scrap-bag here, I cut up an old pair of cotton leggings to provide my scraps. All you really need, though, is two strips of fabric to create the neckline; each is about 2 inches wide and 9 inches long.
Lay the strips down so they make a "V" at the top of your tube. You'll notice my tube has been cut in on the sides; this will later be sewn to make the top fit tighter over my bust. Once you have your "V" centered, tack it down with black thread, so it will stay in place! 
 
This next step isn't necessary if your black fabric has some stretch... but I have a giant head, so getting a halter over my noggin' is sometimes a challenge. I sewed two simple snaps to the top to make the neckpiece fit with ease.
 
This is the step I referred to earlier... where you'll stitch the sides in to create a snugglier fit over your bust. This is not meant to show off what little assets I have, rather to actually keep my costume from falling off; jersey can be really stretchy. 
Your dress should be mostly completed. Which means it's time for Betty's signature hair bow! This step is easy peasy. Cut out two rectangles of the same size; size may vary depending on how big you want your hair bow to be.
Turn the fabric so the "nice side" (what will be showing in your final result) is facing inward. Sew around the edges, leaving an inch open in the top left corner. You will then turn it inside out, as you would if you were making a tiny, tiny pillow. Stitch up the open spot in the corner.
Pinch the center of the "pillow" and wrap a scrap of black fabric around the center. Sew the back to ensure the black fabric stays. Now you've got a cute bow!
I know... I know... You're dying to see the results. But, let's be honest, I'm gonna tease you on this one. Mostly because I still need a shell to put on the halter and a headband to put my bow on. And... I kind of want you to come back and read my blog... is that TOO much to ask?
Be looking forward to seeing the finished result VERY soon ;)
Mad Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment